Trying to get through to AirAsia currently is a big waste of time. They have no Telephone number , their online Chat service AVA times out after 30 minutes , and you can never join a wait queue less that this. I had to sign up to a Twitter account as thats the only way I could communicate with them and they just replied that “2 Months is a normal amount of time to wait and to continue waiting”
I raised a VCAT against the company as they were breaching consumer law, after submitting this claim and notifying their twitter support , I got through to an actually person and success
FIRST NAMED RESPONDENT
PARTICULARS OF CLAIM
Following the travel restrictions imposed by the Governments of Australia and Malaysia, AirAsia is temporarily suspending our flights between Kuala Lumpur and Australia (Melbourne-Avalon, Gold Coast, Perth and Sydney) from 19 to 31 March 2020.
The following flights will be operated for AirAsia’s guests who are Malaysia citizens or other eligible guests currently in Australia; or for Australia citizens currently in Kuala Lumpur on a first-come-first-served basis:
20 March / Sydney – Kuala Lumpur / Flight D7 223
20 March / Kuala Lumpur – Perth – Kuala Lumpur / Flight D7 236 and D7 237
21 March / Kuala Lumpur – Melbourne-Avalon / Flight D7 218
22 March / Melbourne-Avalon – Kuala Lumpur / Flight D7 219
For eligible guests who wish to urgently change their travelling schedule to the above flights can do so using AVA through the following steps at least 4 hours before the scheduled flight departure:
1. Go to airasia.com or support.airasia.com > look for the AVA icon at the bottom right corner, OR go to the AirAsia mobile app > Menu > Chat with AVA
2. Select “COVID-19” from AVA’s main menu
3. Select “Nationals restricted to travel”
4. Select “Move Flight”
5. Proceed to the next steps as instructed by AVA
Or proceed to AirAsia’s operating airport counters as listed below four (4) hours before the scheduled flight departure:
(i) Kuala Lumpur: klia2, AirAsia counters
(ii) Melbourne-Avalon: Avalon Airport, International Terminal – AirAsia counters
(iii) Perth: Perth Airport, Terminal 1 – AirAsia counters
(iv) Sydney: Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport, Terminal 1 – AirAsia counters
For all other affected guests, options will be offered to alleviate travel inconveniences as below:
1. Credit account: Request for a credit account of the value of your booking which is to be redeemed within 365 calendar days from the issuance date for your future travel with us. The actual travel dates can be after the expiry date as long as our schedule is published.
2. Full refund: Obtain a full refund in the amount equivalent to the original booking.
Please refer to COVID-19 Customer Guide to check your eligibility and on how to submit your request.
The above is applicable for direct online bookings made via airasia.com only. For group bookings made with travel agents, kindly refer to your respective third party booking agent for further assistance.
We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused by this. However, the safety and wellbeing of our guests is our top priority and we will continue to comply with all advice and regulations from respective local governments, as well as local and global health authorities with regards to the current global health situation.
We thank our valued guests for their patience and understanding at this time.
Flight cancellation notice
Booking number: XXXXXX
We regret to inform you that your AirAsia flightXXXX scheduled to depart fromXXXX to XXX on XXXXXX has now been cancelled due to operational reasons.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused, and you may select one of the following service recovery options below:
1. Move flight: One-time flight change to a new travel date on the same route within 180 calendar days of the original flight time without additional cost, subject to seat availability.
Contact us via our Customer Contact Channels with your new flight details (date and time)
2. Credit Account: Request for a Credit Account of the value of your booking which is to be redeemed within 365 calendar days from the issuance date for your future travel with us. The actual travel dates can be after the expiry date as long as our schedule is out.
For Credit Account, visit support.airasia.com and select “Chat with AVA”. Once the AVA chat window opens, select “Refund” from the menu followed by “New Refund Request” and complete the fields as directed by AVA.
3. Full refund: Obtain a full refund to your original payment method for the amount equivalent to your booking.
For refunds, visit support.airasia.com and select “Chat with AVA”. Once the AVA chat window opens, select “Refund” from the menu followed by “New Refund Request” and complete the fields as directed by AVA.
For credit account or full refund for bookings made and paid through a travel agent or third party, kindly contact the travel agent directly.
We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please disregard this email if changes have been made.
Respondent : Hey there! We’ll attend to you shortly. Please provide your booking number, full name or email for further assistance. Thank you! ^^ XXXXXX
Applicant : I would like a full refund please XXXXX
Respondent : Hi XXXXX,sincerest apologies for the late response. Since we are receiving overwhelming refund requests at the moment, there might be delays in the process. Therefore, to ease your inconvenience due to the current situation, we are pleased to offer you a faster alternative of getting the amount that you paid back by converting it into Credit Account form (it will be kept in your BIG Member Account) with 730 days validity. If you change your mind about a credit account, do let us know and provide us your Big ID account number. We will assist you from here accordingly.
Otherwise, if you are definite for the refund, please allow more time while the team reviews your case and you will be updated accordingly through email. Your active case number will beXXXXX. Your kind understanding is greatly appreciated.
Particulars of contravention
Enforcement and remedies: national enforcement powers and remedies relating to consumer law.
– The ACL creates national enforcement powers, to be used by all consumer law regulators, including civil penalties and remedies for breaches of the ACL. Not all remedies require a breach to be taken to court. For example, under the ACL, consumers can seek a refund, replacement or repairs if a supplier fails to satisfy its obligations in relation to consumer guarantees.
9.2 Cancellation, Changes of Schedules: At any time after a booking has been made changes, cancellations, diversions, postponements, reschedules and/or delays of any flight may occur due to circumstances beyond our control or for reasons of safety or commercial reasons. In the event of such flight cancellation, we shall at our discretion, either:
Dated this XXXXXXX